Finance, Mindset, Wealth
Secrets of the Millionaire Mind by T. Harv Eker is a book to help you develop positive money habits and wealth strategies. It shows you how to identify and revise your money blueprint, to greatly increase your income and build (and retain) wealth. The principles are not just theories but have been used personally by Eker to take him from broke to a millionaire in 2½ years. The idea is to combine your inner mind game (your tool box) with your outer game (the tools) to become rich. If you’re struggling making or keeping money this book is a great starting point to reset your thinking.
Eker is a student of wealth, building it and keeping it. After starting and failing to acquire wealth, he decided to take onboard the lessons he learned from his parents millionaire friends to create a financial blueprint. To summarise; if you are not fully, totally and truly committed to creating wealth – the chances are you won’t achieve it. You will be paid in direct proportion to the value you deliver according to the marketplace and aim high – if your goal is to be comfortable, chances are you’ll never be rich.
The Key Concepts
- “If you want to move to a higher level of life, you have to be willing to let go of some of your old ways of thinking and being and adopt new ones”.
- “Having top-of-the-line tools is imperative but being the top-notch carpenter who masterfully uses those tools is even more critical”.
- “A lack of money is never, ever, ever a problem. A lack of money is merely a symptom of what is going on underneath”.
- “All the statements you heard about money when you were young remain in your subconscious mind as part of the blueprint that is running your financial life”.
- “Money can’t make you something you already are”.
Eker identifies 17 ways in which rich people think and act differently from the poor or middle-class. To develop a millionaire mind, we can consciously catch ourselves when we are using “poverty files” and switch to alternative “wealth files”. For each of the 17 wealth files in the book, Eker outlines the declarations and “millionaire mind actions” to be taken.
Eker also shares many stories of his personal journey and real people he has met, many of whom are graduates of his Millionaire Mind Intensive course.
The ideas in this book are meant to be applied. You are encouraged to study the book, keep what works and throw away what doesn’t. It’s a fascinating insight into how our ingrained beliefs about money and wealth are holding us back and how we can change them.
T Harv Eker has a great, easy to read style and provides a practical study guide with real-life examples of his own success and his learnings of others. A fascinating read.
Does what it says on the tin: 9.5/10
Yes, however, with one caveat! For the principles to work, you need to be prepared to let go of old ways of thinking. If you can grasp the concepts you can create a blueprint for a solid, financial future. You should be prepared to read this book more than once to take onboard the mindset changes required.